"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before." President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ruffled Table Runner


 Do you have a mantel, table or in my case a top of a new bookcase that needs to be cute-i-fied?!
Make yourself a very easy table runner using felt and fabric.  I measured the top of my bookcase and then added a few inches to the length so it would hang over the sides.  I cut out my felt (I did it double thickness), sewed the 2 pieces of felt together all around the outside edge.  Then I sewed 2.5" strips of fabric right sides together, turned them out and ironed flat.  Then used my sewing machine and did a basting stitch right down the middle and gathered them up, sewed them right to the top of the felt and it was all done.
A ruffled table runner
 I love how it protects the top of my mantel bookcase (from Ikea) and it's a great decoration piece as well.
For those of you that are apartment renters like me and do not have the privilege of having a mantel to call your own and decorate.....this bookcase is your solution!!
Like the Banner hanging on the bookcase??  
There are several available HERE !

11 comments:

Mary said...

Our Seven Dwarfs sent me to check out your cute bunting!

Michelle {Daydream Believers} said...

Very cute runner! I just love ruffles! :)

Unknown said...

I'm a new sewer but this is cute and seems doable!

Jill said...

That ruffled table runner is fantastic!

I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
Have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

this is so cute! love all the fabric choices

PS: I'm doing a giveaway on my blog for $20 to my etsy shop, so if you like pretty jewelry you should come enter!! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-spring-fling-giveaway.html

Rachel // Maybe Matilda said...

So cute! I love it!

Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

Unknown said...

Very cute! It adds so much personality!

Ginger
Literally Inspired

Marianne said...

So cute and simple. I have never thought to make a runner out of felt. Thanks for sharing.
Marianne @ piecesofmymind-marianne.blogspot.com

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

That is sooo cute. Another table runner idea I want to try. Visiting from Show and Tell at Blue Cricket.
~Kimberlee
{$15 Amazon GC Giveaway} 

Crafty Girls Workshop said...

Hi, great tutorial, looks super fun and easy. I wanted you to know that I wrote a blog post today about ruffles and when I saw your link on a linky party I thought it was so cute that I linked to you. Thanks for sharing this great tutorial.

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

I love this idea! I will be featuring this next Thursday!